Friday, February 19, 2016

This weekend at Grandma's

So this week were gonna go back to my roots. I stayed this weekend at my grandma’s house and she made one of my favorite dishes and inspired me to put it on my blog for you guys to try it out! This recipe is for "Arroz con Pollo" (yellow rice with chicken). Arroz con Pollo is a traditional dish for that my latin family loves. The Arroz con Pollo is very similar looking as a paella, a traditional dish from Spain. The most exciting part about making this Arroz con Pollo is that every culture can put their own “sazon” (seasoning) to give it more of a Cuban feel to it. So let me tell ypu guys about it and how its made.


Chicken and rice Recipe:
• 1 tablespoon achiote (annatto) seeds
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 4 chicken thighs, skin on
• Goya adobo, or garlic salt, as needed
• Ground black pepper, as needed
• 1 link chorizo sausage, diced
• 1 link Italian sausage, diced
• 1 batch scallions, greens and whites separated, chopped
• 1 shallot, chopped
• 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
• 1 small jalapeno, chopped
• Goya adobo, or garlic salt, as needed
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 6 oz. dry white wine
• 2 cups long grain rice
• 1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth
• Sofrito from above recipe
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 small batch cilantro, chopped

Sofrito Recipe:
• 1 large tomato
• 1 small or half a large poblano pepper
• 1 small jalapeno
• Half of a small onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 small batch cilantro and/or culantro
Coarsely chop the tomato, peppers and onion.  Place all of the ingredients in a blender and pulse to a rough puree.


2 comments:

  1. Chicken and rice is life! It is one of my favorite recipes to eat. Maybe I will try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. I love it when my grandma cooks food for me, it's just the best!

    ReplyDelete